Baking became very popular during the height of the pandemic with many finding it as a meditative balm for the chaos, providing comfort and reducing stress. Baking a loaf of bread or a tray of cookies became gratifying and provided a sense of normalcy, a focused distraction from the ensuing chaos surrounding them. Binge-watching the Great British Baking Show (also accessible via Hoopla) was a favorite pastime for many folks.
The holiday season is also prime time for baking. Thanksgiving means showstopping pie, Hanukkah means tasty treats like rugelach and Christmas means lots of cookies, —not to mention cakes, breads and so much more.
Here are some new baking books to give you novel ideas and inspiration either for your upcoming holiday celebration, for a cozy afternoon or weekend fall bake or for baking your everyday breads.
- The All-Purpose Baker’s Companion by King Arthur Baking Company
- Bakerita : 100 No-Fuss Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, And Refined Sugar-Free Recipes For The Modern Baker by Rachel Conners
- Baking With Beans : Make Breads, Pizzas, Pies, And Cakes With Gut-Healthy Legumes by Lina Wallentinson
- Christmas Baking : Festive Cookies, Candies, Cakes, Breads, And Snacks To Bring Comfort And Joy To Your Holiday by Joyce & Laura Klynstra
- Crazy Sweet Creations by Ann Reardon
- Everyone Can Bake : Simple Recipes To Master And Mix by Dominique Ansel
- French Pastry Made Simple : Foolproof Recipes For eEclairs, Tarts, Macarons, And More by Molly Wilkinson
- The Great British Baking Show: Love To Bake
- Jewish Holiday Baking : Inspired Recipes For Rosh Hashanah, Hanukkah, Purim, Passover, And More by Uri Scheft
- The Magnolia Bakery Handbook : A Complete Guide For The Home Baker : Baking Made Easy With 150 Foolproof Recipes & Techniques by Bobbie Lloyd
- Mary Berry Cooks To Perfection : Step By Step by Mary Berry
- Modern Scandinavian Baking : A Cookbook Of Sweet Treats And Savory Bakes by Daytona Strong
- Nadiya Bakes : Over 100 Must-Try Recipes For Breads, Cakes, Biscuits, Pies, And More by Nadiya Hussain
- New-School Sweets : Old-School Pastries With An Insanely Delicious Twist by Vinesh Johny
- 100 Cookies : The Baking Book For Every Kitchen With Classic Cookies, Novel Treats, Brownies, Bars, And More by Sarah Kieffer
- One Tin Bakes by Edd Kimber
- Pie Academy : Master The Perfect Crust And 255 Amazing Fillings, With Fruits, Nuts, Creams, Custards, Ice Cream, And More : Expert Techniques For Making Fabulous Pies From Scratch by Ken Haedrich
For more baking ideas and inspiration check out these magazines available via Libby.
Courses on cookie, pie and bread making plus more are available on
Universal Class for Livingston Library cardholders.
-Archana, Adult Services & Acquisitions Librarian