When was the last time that you read a poem or collection of poetry? While in some aspects similar, poetry today is very different from the poets that we studied back in school. It’s a whirlwind mixture of emotion and images, broken up by white space, drawings, and even into volumes. Over the past few years, poetry has risen in popularity with more and more publishers publishing the work of upcoming poets.
If you haven’t read a poem in a while, April is the perfect month to take the opportunity to do so! Why? Because April is National Poetry Month! National Poetry Month was inaugurated by the academy of American Poets back in 1996, and twenty four years later, is still going strong. You can learn more about the history of National Poetry Month, here. This April, why not check out a collection or two of poetry by today’s newer, modern poets? You can find these titles on Hoopla Digital from the comfort of your own home!
- Stuff I’ve Been Feeling Lately by Alicia Cook (NJ Poet!)
- Unfollowing You by Komal Kapoor
- Break Your Glass Slippers by Amanda Lovelace
- The Day is Ready for You by Alison Malee
- I Hope You Stay by Courtney Peppernell
- The Chaos of Longing by K.Y. Robinson
- Homie by Danez Smith (audiobook!)
- Stargazing at Noon by Amanda Torroni
Looking for more? Browse Hoopla, for more wonderful ebook and audiobook collections of recently published poetry!
-Jessica, Adult Services & Acquisitions Librarian